The UK government, in consultation with industry, has produced ‘COVID-19 secure’ guidance to help ensure workplaces are as safe as possible.
The new guidance covers 8 workplace settings which are allowed to be open, from outdoor environments and construction sites to factories and takeaways. This sets out practical steps for businesses focused on 5 key points, which should be implemented as soon as it is practical:
- Work from home, if you can
- Carry out a COVID-19 risk assessment, in consultation with workers or trade unions
- Maintain 2 metres social distancing, wherever possible
- Where people cannot be 2 metres apart, manage transmission risk
- Reinforcing cleaning processes
The 8 guides cover a range of different types of work. Many businesses operate more than one type of workplace, such as an office, factory and fleet of vehicles. You may need to use more than one of these guides as you think through what you need to do to keep employees safe.
- Construction and other outdoor work – Guidance for people who work in or run outdoor working environments.
- Factories, plants and warehouses – Guidance for people who work in or run factories, plants and warehouses
- Homes – Guidance for people working in, visiting or delivering to home environments as well as their employers
- Labs and research facilities – Guidance for people who work in or run indoor labs and research facilities and similar environments
- Offices and contact centres – Guidance for people who work in or run offices, contact centres and similar indoor environments
- Restaurants offering takeaway or delivery – Guidance for people who work in or run restaurants offering takeaway or delivery services.
- Shops and branches – Guidance for people who work in or run shops, branches, stores or similar environments.
- Vehicles – Guidance for people who work in or from vehicles, including couriers, mobile workers, lorry drivers, on-site transit and work vehicles, field forces and similar.
Further COVID-19 Business Support Information: Here.
Back to Work Guidance:
Traders Information for shops and retailers trading in Town Centre locations: Traders Information Leaflet.